Bruce Monk

Monday, 18 January 2010






Bones sighing and muscles screaming, that's been me lately. Getting back into regular ballet classes after so many years being absorbed in the thesis is making my body ache. I'm not complaining though, there is something exhilarating about it. And aren't these ballet images by photographer Bruce Monk just beautiful?

I do apologise if you have sent me an email lately and I have not responded. I've been busy, busy, busy. So many cover letters to write, so many reviews, articles and essays, so many deadlines. I promise to answer soon.


Stéphanie said...

Fabulous pictures !

Saoirse said...

I love pictures of ballerinas and the theater!
These are stunning!

Bekväm said...

I totally understand. I just started ballet two weeks ago and I can't believe how sore I am...I was having trouble walking the first couple days...ouch. Hope you feel better soon:)

Sanja said...

I just stumbled upon your blog :) As far as advice on Germany goes, maybe you should check out, it is written by an American who recently moved to Germany. Good luck!

Sundari said...

Great pictures. I need to get back into regular exercise. I would love to learn ballet but am probably too old to be a beginner.

heleen said...

One thing about ballet that has always intrigued me is that it's such a beautiful thing to watch, yet that beauty is hard to capture on photograph (the numerous images of tulle skirts with black allstars don't count, obviously). This Bruce Monk guy, however, does an amazing job. His dance photography is definitely one of the best I've come across so far.

Hila said...

stephanie: yes, they are so beautiful.

saoirse: they are indeed stunning!

bekvam: aww, thanks :) I am so sore, but it's a happy sort of pain.

sanja: thank you, that's much appreciated!

sundari: I don't think you can ever be too old :)

heleen: it is indeed so hard to capture the beauty of ballet, mainly because it is such a fleeting art. Still, one of my favourite things to do is to sit in the corner while ballerina man is rehearsing and capture any fleeting movements with my camera.

louise said...

I love, love, love watching ballet, but was terrible at it. Mind you, I only went to class for two years as a youngster then gave it up. Best of luck with you classes.

Hila said...

Thanks, they're going well :)

please sir said...

Amazing photographs - and good luck with the dancing - I'm sure it will pay off both mentally and psychically.

Hila said...

thanks :)