Mail

Wednesday, 9 December 2009

The University of Missouri Press's new book collection

my chapter

Paloma's Tiffany Kiss

I have received two amazingly lovely things in the mail this week. The first is a brand new shiny copy of the book collection published by the University of Missouri Press, to which I contributed a chapter. I am so proud to be a part of this book collection and to have published alongside so many talented writers and fellow academics. I also have a huge thrill when I think about the fact that my name now appears in print alongside Sandra Gilbert, one of the biggest names in feminist criticism. I am totally absorbed in reading all the other essays in this collection. It is a thoroughly fascinating read, and you can buy it here.

My second wonderful surprise has been a Tiffany kiss in honour of me finishing my PhD, in the form of one of my favourite Tiffany designs: Paloma's Kiss Necklace. My friends know me all too well. Now, the year I became a doctor will be marked by this shiny new necklace.

Have you received anything lovely in the mail recently?

17 comments:

marie said...

oh congrats!!
that is so exciting to be in print!

St├ęphanie said...

Oh ! Congrats !

Rita said...

i think it`s smth amazing.you are very talanted/you know?

onesilentwinter said...

how wonderful hila! i too loved seeing your name in print!

Lenneke said...

That is a sweet note with your necklace and ofcourse congratulations!

In the mail I got this cute porcelain fortunecookie which says "dream"! It was a little gift for myself turning 30!

And about Jack the chubby panter. He sure is a handsome guy, he is a lot of fun, he tells you long stories as long as you talk back, he is very playfull but definitly not the sweetest ;-) Het scratches and bites and likes to sit on your back so he just jumps whenever he is on the same height!

Wonder what your little lion looks like!

a. said...

congratulations. maybe i will buy this book

Lucie Peacock said...

ack!!! amazing!!!!!! i hope you are so proud of everything you have accomplished this year!!!

danica said...

what fabulous things to receive in the mail! hopefully the pain of four years of thesis writing is starting to subside :)

p.s your comment about the hottest february has made me very anxious. how could it possibly be any hotter than earlier this year? gah!

Rina said...

Hila this is so amazing!!! congrats congrats congrats! and the necklace is so beautiful...
I received two tickets to see "Piaf" in Buenos Aires...I´m so excited about that, I will tell you more about this!

jessie said...

oh congrats!!! what lovely things to recieve, expecially as rewards for working so hard as you have. and in the mail lately i have recieved a few lovely things but my fave woudl be a postcard from my friend in america

A red lipstick said...

Congrats! :)
I haven't received anything in the mail lately but I plan to send a present to a friend who lives far away from me.

Des said...

Congratulations. To be a contributor to a collection at such a young age is a great accomplishment.

agirl said...

Congratulations! How delightful.

kerri said...

i am proud as punch for you x

Hila said...

thank you, thank you, thank you all for your super sweet comments and congratulations! You're all gems :)

Lenneke: I like giving gifts to myself too, and congrats on turning 30! And your jack sounds so lovely, I just adore cats. I'm pretty sure I have pictures of my little lion on my flickr page if you'd like to know what he looks like.

Danica: that's what I was thinking when they said it on the news - hotter? You mean hotter than 39 degrees? I hope you're surviving this heat!

Rina: luck you!! Tell me all about it!

Jessie: I love getting postcards :)

steph. said...

congratulations x2!!

Hila said...

Thank you :)