The Edge of Love

Friday, 18 December 2009

the edge of love

the edge of love

the edge of love

the edge of love

the edge of love

the edge of love

the edge of love

the edge of love

the edge of love

the edge of love

the edge of love

the edge of love

the edge of love

The Edge of Love is the film that initially gave me the idea for my current research project, and I find myself still engaging with it in terms of keywords rather than coherent narrative at this stage. This is perhaps because I feel I have so much to say about it.

Hiding
So much of this film comprises of hiding: hiding under covers, hiding underground, hiding emotionally. It's almost like the backdrop of the Second World War is a metaphor for relationships, and vice versa. While there is a considerable sense of warm intimacy that comes with this theme of hiding, it is also claustrophobic in tone.

Objects
If you look carefully, you'll see that this film is actually a film about objects: cups, picture frames, collages, pieces of paper, cigarettes. This mundane domesticity contrasts beautifully with wide open space and cloudy skies.

Friendship
To me, the most compelling relationship of the film is the one between the two women. I found their romances with men to be boring and cliche. It's the romance they have with each other as women that is actually believable. It's so rare to see a film depict friendship between women in which bitchiness and competitiveness are not the primary focus. This made the film more complex and less condescending to me.

The Muse
Yet, the film relies on one of the most stereotypical representations of femininity: the muse. I'm so tired of seeing this. I know a lot of people find the concept of a muse to be flattering, but really, it's a false sense of flattery, for what is a muse but a reflection of someone else's subjectivity, rather than her own? I do wish the actual creative process of writing was depicted in a more complex manner.

Since this is a recent film that many people have seen, I'd be interested to hear your opinions. What stood out the most for you about it?

16 comments:

marie said...

i don't remember this coming out - can't believe i missed it! maybe i'll be able to see it over the summer sometime

marie said...

p.s.

if you don't mind can i ask what is your project?
im very interested!

Sundari said...

I actually watched this film alone, and quite enjoyed just watching the objects and appreciating the visual aspects of the film. I remember thinking Dylan Thomas to be a rather horrid character and self indulgent human being but takes advantage of the 'artist' title that gives license to this behaviour. I agree that the relationship between the women was the most interesting and complex relationship to observe in the film. I really did quite enjoy seeing this film. Great little review.

Des said...

I still need to see this film. But I agree that it does get tiresome to see the same stereotypical female roles. It's actually tiresome to see stereotypical anything for that matter. I think it may be because screenwriters tend to stay away from things that they aren't good at. And I imagine that the mostly male screenwriters in the film industry are not good at writing strong dialogue for interesting female characters, so they just avoid it all together.

Sundari said...

Btw you chose all the most amazing film stills.

St├ęphanie said...

I need to see this film !
The pictures are fabulous !

a. said...

i love these stills. i love all the hiding.

Marte Marie Forsberg said...

So many wonderful films to see! I adore the movies you are profiling.
Could not help it but make your blog the blog of the week.

Mary-Laure said...

Did I miss this? How could it be?

Check out the pics of my sister's wedding in Paris, I just posted them on my blog...

Jo said...

i have not seen this film yet, but i will sure try to get a hold of it as soon as possible.

a big hug, hila dear!

Rambling Tart said...

These photos are absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing :-)

Hila said...

Marie: my project is a new research project I've started for my academic work. It's still quite new and in the early phases, so I'm tentative to talk about it in too much detail, but it does focus on recent biopics of authors.

Sundari: I totally agree! He was rather horrid. I really do wish people would stop hiding behind the artistic personna as an excuse for overly selfish behaviour. Seriously, I would have just left him :)

des: I agree, and I generally think that many people involved in the film industry assume that "the public" is a cohesive mass that thinks alike. There are however always exceptions to this rule, thankfully!

marte marie: thank you! I'm honoured :)

Mary-laure: a wedding in Paris is the only kind of wedding I want :)

Jo: So good to hear from you, I miss you! Big, big hug to you too!!

Stephanie, a. and rambling tart: many thanks :)

shomaberserk said...

hi, i stumbled upon your blog because i typed in edge of love on google. But I just watched the film last night and blogged about it myself. My words aren't nearly as articulate about yours but! here they are!

http://s1eepeasy.blogspot.com/2009/12/well.html

I thought the film was wonderfully shot, and like you, I think the relationship between the women is the most heartfelt, and I can personally relate.

Hila said...

Thanks for your comment and for your sweet compliment :)

Rosey said...

I love this movie and the shots you have are fantastic! :)

Hila said...

Thanks!