Onegin

Saturday, 3 January 2009

cap005

cap147

cap114

cap074

cap103

cap123

cap172

I've been watching a lot of DVDs lately, mainly for my work. My favourite so far is Martha Fiennes's adaptation of Pushkin's Eugene Onegin. I first saw this film a couple of years ago and I remember it getting a lot of negative reviews from critics because it was considered "too beautiful", which seems to me to entirely miss the point of how beauty functions as a metaphor in the film. Ah, but never mind about my disagreements with critics, whose job it is to dislike most films anyway. It is a little gem in my eyes.

Oh and if you're in the mood to look at some more beautiful things, then click here. One of my photos has been included in the prettiest etsy treasury with an English, Jane Austen theme. I think it's quite adorable.

18 comments:

Desiree Fawn said...

That one of her in the boat is very pretty. Calming.

Eve said...

The movie looks lovely! If that is Ralph Fiennes in the picture then I truly must see it for he is one of my favorites! Beautiful things!

please sir said...

Oh I love when you recommend movies - now I must search!

Maggie May said...

i want to see this now

Windy Days said...

Happy new year Hila! This film does look beautiful, and critics are silly anyway. :)

nadia said...

Hope your holiday was a good one!

nadia said...

I love this movie and yes it was beautiful every clip...the story is strong and yes i am not sure how the critic missed it!

K. Sundari said...

Sometimes I wish critics would stop butchering beautiful films. I must say that like you I often disagree with critics. I haven't seen this film, but this weekend I'm going to keep an eye out at the video store.

Mary-Laure said...

How come I never heard of this movie, I wonder. I MUST see it.

Critics just anger me, don't get me started.

I've been thinking A LOT about the issue you raised once on this blog, about the fragmentation of the female body. Some time I'll have to email you some of my musings.

Off to check out the Jane Austen themed Etsy page!

ANNIE+CARLOTTA said...

im a sucker for beautiful films, i dont even mind if the plot is bland or the characters are boring, as long as it looks and feels beautiful. some people might call it 'shallow' but i cant help it. ill keep a eye out for this one now.

ashley said...

sounds beautiful hila~ as always have taken your recommendation under wing:)
x ashley

Hila said...

So glad you all like my movie recommendations :) Critics are silly anyway.

Mary-Laure - I look forward to getting that email from you ...

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I think, when I get back to Oz and I have access to more non-blockbuster movies, I'm going to have to put together a "Hila" list. This is another one I want to see now!

Hila said...

Haha, the "Hila list" gives me more authority than I deserve :)

AnastasiaC said...

such beautiful images!!! love that whole old world english feel!

Joanna Goddard said...

SUCH beautiful images!!!

Hila said...

Glad you like them Joanna :)

Tana said...

oh, it's not only my favourite novel in verse, but the rare film i watch with such great pleasure!i really admire the actors, the images and the scenes, tellement c'est beau!