Disco Pigs

Sunday, 7 December 2008

disco pigs1

cap030

cap013

I first saw Disco Pigs at a film festival a few years ago and I recently saw it again when I bought the DVD overseas. It's such a surprising and intense little film. It has loose connections with Wuthering Heights as it explores the intense bond between two people who have practically grown up side-by-side, but who are not brother and sister. Set in Ireland, the film revolves around two main characters: Pig (Cillian Murphy) and Runt (Elaine Cassidy). These are not their real names but rather names they have given each other. They share their own language and their own world and their intense relationship often results in manifestations of violence toward others. Something eventually comes to disturb the unity of their fragile world and the film becomes even more interesting as you start to wonder what will happen next. I won't give it away.

This is a stunning film in every way. The contrast which is made visually between the scenes of Runt and Pig by the sprawling seashore and their nightly visits to insular disco nightclubs is like a small microcosm of the contrast between their own dangerously intimate world and the rest of society. I wish there were more films like this - that is, films that actually treat their audiences with a certain degree of intelligence and sensitivity.

*A small note* one of my prints has been included in an etsy treasury, my first ever ... click here ... also, to see my little contribution to an Oxford Travel Guide, click here. Hope you're having a great weekend everyone.

8 comments:

danica said...

Hmmm, I have often thought about watching this. I shall have to check it out. There is something about Elaine Cassidy that always makes me think she is evil. Must have been watching her in Fingersmith :)

P.S I've passed on an award to you. It has a little oooh la la :)

Stephanie said...

You watch the most fascinating things. I am adding this to my must see list.

And congratulations on the etsy + oxonian accomplishments!

The Wanderers' Daughter said...

Your blog is lovely....I have very much enjoyed seeing the things you've collected here.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Sounds like another movie I'm going to have to hunt for when I return home. Congratulations on both the treasury and the publication.

please sir said...

Sounds like a movie I would love...you always have the best movie recommends!

Mila said...

Oh wow, this definitely sounds like a film i must see and i will love.
Thanks for your wonderful film tips!

Hila said...

Danica: Merci for the award :)
Hmm, I can't say whether I think Elaine Cassidy is evil or not, but she certainly is a little spooky in this film!

Thank you Stepahnie!

The Wanderers' Daughter: hello, thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment.

Melanie, Diane and Mila: I'm glad I'm adding to your film lists :)

Young Mind said...

I would love to get my hands on this film... i hope you can buy it here in Australia :)