Stuart Sutcliffe

Monday, 27 October 2008

Last night I finished reading the biography of Stuart Sutcliffe, the fifth member of the Beatles. It was one of those books that made me anxious to reach the last page for fear of finishing it. I wanted it to go on and on, almost as if it didn't reveal enough about the man. I found this book so fascinating, and I can't put my finger on the reason why. It isn't the writing, or the writing style, but the man himself that fascinated me. I haven't felt this haunted by a biography since I read Johnny Cash's autobiography - another man whom I find endlessly fascinating, sometimes for reasons unknown to me.

I usually find autobiographies and biographies uninvolving, but the ones I've read about these two men have left me haunted. I still can't stop thinking about the book and I have a feeling it will stay with me for a while. It's even interfering with my writing, as if it has drained me of all my creative energy. It has also left me with a strong desire to see some of Stuart's paintings. I am, to say the very least, intrigued.


Susanna-Cole said...

Oh dear I just love a good book that's impact haunts you... I'm going to have to add this one to my "Books To Read" list!

Thanks for your comment, by the way, you are too sweet! :)


Krissy said...

This one sounds perfect! I'm going to the library after work to track it down!

Rina said...

I find biographies very interesting, I bought one of Maria Antonieta and Diana Arbus in my last trip to Buenos Aires, I can´t wait to start reading it!
and pictures are great by the way!

danica said...

Sounds like a fascinating read!

P.S Have you seen Backbeat? (I think it's called that)

design for mankind. said...


Stephanie said...

Oooh ... another one for the to-read list.

That first photograph is particularly amazing.

Kirsty said...

You've given me goosebumps. I'll have to give it a go.

Desiree Fawn said...

Thank you for your comment <3

This post is just lovely.

Windy Days said...

This sounds like a book I'll have to check out! I never even knew there was a fifth member. The Beatles are my comfort music, I really do love them.

Maggie May said...

i'm definitely going to look at it now! i love a good biography. one of my favorites is the Eleanor Roosevelt series by blanche cook. they are fascinating to me in the way you describe here.

Maggie May said...

my comment code was 'mushed'

how cool is that?

Inside the Cabinet of Wonder said...

i really want to read this. :)

ashley said...

oh hila,

you do the best reviews, and i cant wait to get my fingers on this during the next term holidays.
i love books that make you anxious because you want them to live on forever, that is the perfect description of a very good book.
hope you are having a wonderful week sweetie!
x ashley

flossy-p said...

I just saw a doco about him recently!!! I understand what you mean by fascinating.

Hila said...

Susannah-Cole: It's my pleasure :)

Krissy: I hope you found a copy! I borrowed mine from a friend and he told me it was quite expensive.

Rina: you've just given me some more biographies to read :)

Danica: yep I've seen it and was very interested - which is why I asked to borrow the book about him :)

Erin: it is mighty good!

Stephanie: I agree - I love that photo.

Kirsty: I like giving people gooosebumps :)

Desiree: thanking you kindly :)

Windy Days: I found out about the fifth member a while ago, but haven't been interested in him till now.

Maggie May: that's very cool - I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a thrill from random words :)

Inside the cabinet of wonder: I highly recomment you read it.

Ashley: that's very sweet of you to say! Hope you're having a great week too.

Flossy-p: yep, I saw that with my dad. We both sat there spellbound.