My Tender and Affectionate Beast

Wednesday, 15 October 2008

Emil Loteanu made some of the most beautiful films and this one is my favourites of his. It took me years to track down a DVD copy of this film with English subtitles. My Tender and Affectionate Beast is an adaptation of Anton Chekhov's short story, "The Shooting Party". It involves a fateful story about a lovely country lass and the three men who are fascinated by her. I usually loathe these kinds of stories as I'm sick of men representing women as dumb mysteries, but Chekhov is not to be sneered at and I do love his writing. And I love this film even more; it's almost like a fairy tale and it doesn't invest in much dialogue and plot to get its message across, but rather, beautiful imagery. The whole film is like one big metaphor that requires the audience to construct a narrative. I love films that let me get involved in the storytelling process.

19 comments:

nadia said...

I love this story by chekov but i have never seen the film, i must find a copy? stills look amazing!

danica said...

This film looks amazingly beautiful! I must look into it. Hope your writing is going well. I have just crawled out from under mine :)

K. Sundari said...

Ah narratives driven by the images. It's exactly what I am studying now. Sometimes words don't do enough, which is difficult for me to say as I aspire to be a writer too.

Stephanie said...

This looks brilliant. Must find a copy immediately!

ashley said...

those images are breathtaking. i am always updating my to watch/ to read list thanks to your oh so lovely blog;) thanks hila!
x ashley

Esti said...

The images are beautiful. I hadn't heard about the movie, but I'm intrigued :)

Krissy said...

wow! I'm adding this to the list of "must see movies". The stills you chose are stunning :)

Susanna-Cole said...

This film looks absolutely beautiful...now I need to track down a copy! :D

xoxo,
S-C

please sir said...

Wow this looks so magical...must see!

bronwyn said...

Wow! This is my first time here and I gasped out loud at these images. Do you mind sharing where you found your copy? I'd love to see this.

notebookdoodles said...

amazing scenery.. i could live in it.

Will_Bryant said...

wow! gorgeous

jodi said...

you always find the most beautiful images. How amazing are these! I'll have to track this down...a sunday afternoon treat I think!

Mila said...

Such pretty images!

Jessie Cacciola said...

these are gorgeous, hila! so much I've missed here. enjoy your weekend. xo

Hila said...

Thank you everyone for your super-sweet comments :)

For those of you who asked: I got my copy from an Amazon seller I think. It was a few years ago when I bought it, just at the beginning of my thesis, so I can't remember exactly.

Mary-Laure said...

I'd love to see this.
Checkhov is so great! Have you read his letters? They're really fabulous, funny and moving.
AND he had DACHSHUNDS!!!

Maggie May said...

oh my gosh i didn't know they made a movie out of this!

Hila said...

Mary-Laure - I haven't read his letters, but it sounds like I should :)

Yep, they did Maggie May :) It's a bit obscure though; I wish it received more publicity.