I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud

Wednesday, 27 August 2008

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed---and gazed---but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

-William Wordsworth

I have escaped from the confines of my "office" and have been having a torrid affair with my copy of Wordsworth poems and my Polaroid camera. Please don't tell my thesis.


mill said...

Beautiful poem. It's good to get out and about - some days I don't even get to see the sun, as by the time I leave the hospital it's dark already :P So I spend my weekends outdoors :)

Thanks for dropping by our blog btw!

Anna-Lisa said...

Ha - Good distraction. I cheated on my masters paper so much I never finished it! Good luck with getting it finished. So stressful!

Kirsty said...

I'm sure your thesis will forgive you.

nadia said...

I have loved this poem fo rhe longest time...thank you for putting it in my thoughts again.

Mila said...

As always, i am in love with your post....the picture is amazing, so is the poem.

I won't tell your thesis, he doesn't have to know anything.


Krissy said...

Gorgeous! I don't think your thesis would mind :)

please sir said...

AMAZING - have a wonderful time - the thesis won't mind!

Lucie Peacock said...

so pretty!

Hila said...

Alas, the affair has ended ... but it was good while it lasted :)

Stephanie said...

The nice thing about ending an affair like this is that it is always easy to resume :)

Lovely shot, favorite poem.

Joanna said...

I've committed this poem to memory long ago. Oh how I love it! And I love your blog!

Helena said...

Hi Hila. It's quite an ironic coincidence that I am at work at The Wordsworth Trust reading this post. I am plundering your archives to pass the last half hour of work on a Sunday (surely the most painful time to be at a desk?) Thank you for bringing some joy to my rainy Lake District day. x