The Edge of Love

Tuesday, 26 August 2008

I only want to talk about three things which I love about The Edge of Love in my review. So if you want a detailed plot analysis, you won't find it here. And if you want a balanced discussion on the film's flaws (of which, admittedly, there are many; not least of which is the creative license taken with Thomas's life), you won't find it here either. So why do I love this film? Here are the reasons ...

1. It is one of the few films that actually explores a complex female friendship, over and above the male characters. Ask yourself this question: how many films actually do this? I think there is a tendency to portray women's relationships with each other in a strictly bitchy and competitive mode, and I can't help but feel uncomfortable when I watch these types of movies. The Edge of Love actually depicts the nuances of female friendship beyond this limited model, which is a nice change.

2. The film is just beautiful. This is a stylised film, but shot so beautifully and evocatively, that it made me want to visit Wales - or perhaps the fantasy-Wales that the film portrays. I love films that give me a sense of place and that construct their own intimate aesthetic world.

3. The clothes. Need I say more? Well, perhaps a few more words; tailored shirts, sweet skirts and cardigans, flawless makeup and rain-boots. It's just all too pretty. I don't care if this sounds superficial - sometimes superficiality is needed. When you're stuck at home most of the time, looking at the same four walls while trying to churn out another chapter, you tend to appreciate beautiful surface images and well-dressed people a little more.

I hope I have tempted you to see it ...

10 comments:

iƱaki said...

I have been looking forward to watching it since I first heard of it!!! I'm so glad to read you loved it! :)

xx

Pam said...

Yes, I'm really looking foward to seeing it, and have found what you've written interesting.I love the scenery of Wales (travelled half way round the world to experiece it) so you can imagine the bliss I will be in to have it presented again on the screen within the Dylan Thomas context.Can't wait!

the tea drinking english rose said...

i'm so sad i missed it at the cinema, now i have to wait until it comes out on dvd... i'm completely upset and i actually can't wait to see it. it's driving me crazy that i have to wait!!

danica said...

I saw it last night...I don't think I am as enamoured as you are. I will have to post my own thoughts this week :)

P.S Thanks for the tag will hop to it when I have some free time.

P.P.S Sorry to hear your thesis is being a bastard. Just tell it who is boss!

Jenaveve said...

Very tempted to see this one; thanks for a lovely review (and not giving anything away).

K. Sundari said...

you have tempted me so! I must watch this film as soon as I can! It sounds lovely!

Mila said...

Oh wow, this definitely sounds like a movie i should see.
Thanks so much for your words.
Oh, and appreciating the beauty of the clothing etc. in a film isn't superficial at all. People who say that, are superficial. ;)

Love, Mila.

please sir said...

Looks like a great movie - love your description of a female friendship.

Hila said...

Thanks for your comments everyone :)

Sea Angels said...

Great reveiw....fresh take and it is fantastic....plus yes the clothes are fab, and can be worn by anyone so that's even better.
Love your blog
Lynn x