Literary Pick-Me-Up

Wednesday, 11 June 2008

I've come across this beautiful quote by Gail Jones from an interview while searching the net for a different quote for my current chapter. This is what I call a "literary pick-me-up".

"I think that one of the functions of literature is to remind us of the beautiful. I like the moments when I'm reading and I pause and there's something that has so moved me or so alerted me to the texture of the real that I feel I just have to stop and think about it. My sense is that, in the face of all that oppresses us and all that implies that we are meaningless and that our words fly away as we speak and mean nothing, there are moments when language causes this pause, and that's what I strive for. I mean, no writer ever succeeds in the way they want to; we always feel our own insufficiency, but it's a striving, an aspiration of much writing I think."

I wish I was as articulate in my own interview with the ABC. All I could think about was how young my voice sounds.

To read the rest of the interview, just click.

11 comments:

Krissy said...

Very well-said!

stacy said...

Excellent quote and exactly what I love about reading.

Mary-Laure said...

It's a great quote!

I'm reading Murdoch's The Black Prince right now and I'm afraid to say it's really nowhere as good as The Sea, The Sea...

design for mankind. said...

I love that you coin the phrase 'literary pick-me-up'. You're so so cute! :)

Wait--- were you ON ABC?????

Hila said...

It is indeed a great quote.

Mary-laure, I know what you mean. I didn't like The Black Prince as much as The Sea, The Sea.

Hila said...

Yep I was!! And I have the CD and transcript to prove it, hehe. I got a bit of publicity via my university last year when I won a scholarship from King's College, London, so that let to the ABC contacting me to do an interview on my thesis/research. It wasn't that much of a big deal really - only a ten-minute interview. But still, it meant something to me!

please sir said...

I agree - well said and inspiring!

design for mankind. said...

SHUT UP, HILA--- YOU ARE BIG BUSINESS, LADY!

And at 24? GOOD LORD!

Hila said...

Erin, you made me blush. And you're making me sound like a bigger deal than I actually am :) I'm so excited about your magazine - can't wait to hear more news about it!

flossy-p said...

I think Gail Jones has summed up her own writing in this paragraph. Her books take me ages to read, because I'm constantly pausing to enjoy the beauty in that moment.

Hila said...

I think you're right flossy-p.